Elias Pettersson | D

50 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's interesting, if he is able to reliably play both LD and RD, that increases his value exponentially. We just want to take our time with him and make sure he's ready for the increased speed and physicality of the NHL before we pull him in.

He's signed with Canucks and is on Loan to the SHL, so I believe that we could decide to pull him into Abbotsford at the end of this season in Sweden if we decided it was best for his development. I think they could even decide to just bring him over for the end of the AHL season and playoffs if they want to see how he looks and get him a little AHL playoff experience.

I believe D-Petey was dropped one level down from the SHL. I liked the move as it improved his TOI. Maybe a strong WJC and he gets moved back up. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

D Petey with a team high 23:12 in ice time for Sweden today, the next highest Tom Willander at 19:32. 

however dEP looked comfortable with the puck n Villanger did not. Maybe its just age, experience. dEP looks NHL ready. villanger needs some AHL

Petersson finished the game with 23:12, the only Swedish player over 20 min.  Willander was 2nd with 19:32.  Add Brustewicz, Kudryavtsev, Hirose, Woo, McWard, and Johansson and we have some potential nhl regulars in the system.  A little early to predict how good they'll be, but I think it would be a safe bet that 3 of those will play.  Along with Hughes, Hronek, Zadorov, and Soucy, we final have a decent long term look on the back end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

however dEP looked comfortable with the puck n Villanger did not. Maybe its just age, experience. dEP looks NHL ready. villanger needs some AHL

Willander had to adjust most of the players and still almost played a third of the game without PP. Wrong side, bigger rink etc.

It looks like the coach trust him and believes he will be one of the better Ds of Sweden.

ASP looks insecure if you are one of those wanting him instead.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

17 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Willander had to adjust most of the players and still almost played a third of the game without PP. Wrong side, bigger rink etc.

It looks like the coach trust him and believes he will be one of the better Ds of Sweden.

ASP looks insecure if you are one of those wanting him instead.

Yup. ASP is not an NHL player. He looks great on big ice and against soft competition. He is very much like than Dahlen guy we tried. Willander is very much like Hronek. He will be a star in the National League. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Petterson again leads in icetime on a team that hasn't allowed a goal in 3 games.  Petersson just looks so composed and positionally sound.  It is hard to find a problem in his game. 

Willander's time was down a bit, but Havelid and Sandin-Pelikka get pp time which neither Willander or Petersson don't.  This coach clearly trusts them 5on5 and 4on5.  This speaks volumes.  Excited to see their development.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think D Petey would look really good in a bottom pairing role, which is encouraging as it would allow him time to adjust to the NHL over time and evenually try and become a top 4 player. Guys like Rathbone in the past needed were top 4 or bust and unless you have game breaking talent, hard for those guy to be NHL players. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canucklehead44 said:

D-Petey SHL next year, AHL the following, and hopefully ready to take Soucy’s spot when he becomes a free agent.

Still need to lock down a 2nd pairing left side D - not sure Zadorov is it 

Zadorov is probably it, I think the Canucks lock him up long term. In three years could be:

Hughes - Willander

Zadorov - Hronek

Pettersson - UFA

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Zadorov is probably it, I think the Canucks lock him up long term. In three years could be:

Hughes - Willander

Zadorov - Hronek

Pettersson - UFA

In 3 years, Brzustewicz might be ready.  He might be a good puck moving partner for D-P.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Hahaha love it! 

Drance has his friend (former amateur scout) Jason Bukula on every Wednesday and he was saying that D-Petey looks like a top 4 hard-to-play-against player. He was very excited about him. 

Todd Harvey really deserves all the credit for this one, he was batting hard for D-Petey in the behind the scenes videos. 

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Hahaha love it! 

Drance has his friend (former amateur scout) Jason Bukula on every Wednesday and he was saying that D-Petey looks like a top 4 hard-to-play-against player. He was very excited about him. 

Todd Harvey really deserves all the credit for this one, he was batting hard for D-Petey in the behind the scenes videos. 

Good scouting by management and the scouting department. If D-Petey becomes a 2nd pairing dman, that is huge for this team moving forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1