Elias Pettersson | D

On 12/26/2023 at 11:17 AM, UncleBen said:

D Petey looking good..got some snarl and skates very well for a big man.Could get a chance to play next year for Canucks IMO

Next year probably wishful thinking.. He's not even in the SHL yet. Plays in the Allsvenskan.

He'll need to ripen in the AHL for a year before making the 1st place NHL team. 

I'd say he's 2 or 3 years away.

We'll see what happens in the summer. Does he stay in Sweden or come over to play in the AHL next season. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s already 6’4” and 205 pounds at 19 years old. Could fill out to 220-225 pounds. He will be an anchor on our defence for a decade or more. 

He had a very solid game. I was surprised when he did not stick in the SHL this season. I wonder if he goes back this spring?

14 hours ago, stawns said:

Great game for DPetey today.  You can see he's their defensive anchor.  He's their Ohlund

He's our Ohlund!

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s already 6’4” and 205 pounds at 19 years old. Could fill out to 220-225 pounds. He will be an anchor on our defence for a decade or more. 

8 hours ago, Down By the River said:

D'Elias Pettersson looking like Mattias Ohlund.

Big boy. A great add to our D core to be sure. I'm honestly excited about our D core's future. We need more big dudes!

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You don't think he might need some seasoning in Abby?

Yep! Smaller ice surface. Faster game. A bit of adjustment is required. If there's any way we can get D-Petey here sooner, let's do it!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

He's our Ohlund!

Big boy. A great add to our D core to be sure. I'm honestly excited about our D core's future. We need more big dudes!

Yep! Smaller ice surface. Faster game. A bit of adjustment is required. If there's any way we can get D-Petey here sooner, let's do it!

I wonder if he'll come over to Abby as early as next season. that would be awesome if he could play there at age 20, and then get 1-2 years seasoning and be up by 22 years old on the big team. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder if he'll come over to Abby as early as next season. that would be awesome if he could play there at age 20, and then get 1-2 years seasoning and be up by 22 years old on the big team. 

Seeing him up against the Juniors he looks ready for NHL. I mean, he is playing against some of the best. Much better than last year. At least if he was in Abby we could call him up in the playoffs if needed. We are starting to have the biggest defense in the League! Myers, Zods, Jewels, D_EP just a bunch of giants that can move. Oh, Soucy too. and Cole but he needs some new skates or something

I'll have to say......

Aren't the Canucks lucky to have Rutherford, Alvin, Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, and the twins all on our payroll?    

Seriously...

I know it's slightly off topic but just look at our organizational structure and prospect pool now.  Elias Pettersson (D), Lekkerimaki, Raty, Hirose, Silovs, Karlsson, Bains, Podkolzin, Willander, Hunter B, etc.  

In January of 2023, who would have thought that we would have had the type of 2023 that we did?  

Never ceases to amaze me.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

He's our Ohlund!

Ohlund had this mean streak if provoked enough.  Mikko Koivu found out when you try to throw an elbow in the direction of his bad eye.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He had a very solid game. I was surprised when he did not stick in the SHL this season. I wonder if he goes back this spring?

I think he will play in the SHL next season.  And then come to Vancouver the following year.  He may go down to Abby for a year.  I think he will be Soucy's replacement at some point on the 3rd pairing and then go from there.  His ceiling is a 2nd pairing Dman.  D-Petey and Willander might be playing together in the future...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goalie Interference said:

Through 2 periods of 2-0 (Sweden) game, Pettersson leads all players in ice time at 16:40. He's played over 3 minutes more than the next Swede (Willander). He's playing left and right side. Very steady and clearly has the trust of his coach in a close game.

I've had it on at work and everytime I look at the screen, Petersson is on the ice and he looks like Mattias Olhund as others have said.  Willander as the 2nd most icetime is showing that the coach is gaining confidence in him as well.  He looks very composed and a beautiful skater.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

I've had it on at work and everytime I look at the screen, Petersson is on the ice and he looks like Mattias Olhund as others have said.  Willander as the 2nd most icetime is showing that the coach is gaining confidence in him as well.  He looks very composed and a beautiful skater.

And no points today for Lekkerimaki, but he's been dangerous with a post and a few gorgeous setups. Looking forward to Canada-Sweden tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, Goalie Interference said:

Through 2 periods of 2-0 (Sweden) game, Pettersson leads all players in ice time at 16:40. He's played over 3 minutes more than the next Swede (Willander). He's playing left and right side. Very steady and clearly has the trust of his coach in a close game.

That's interesting, if he is able to reliably play both LD and RD, that increases his value exponentially. We just want to take our time with him and make sure he's ready for the increased speed and physicality of the NHL before we pull him in.

He's signed with Canucks and is on Loan to the SHL, so I believe that we could decide to pull him into Abbotsford at the end of this season in Sweden if we decided it was best for his development. I think they could even decide to just bring him over for the end of the AHL season and playoffs if they want to see how he looks and get him a little AHL playoff experience.